Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Foods you may be thinking of, as you make your plans to visit Alaska



Foremost, I think of “cold water seafood” cuisine.   I love Alaska salmon … Prefer smoked, yet others enjoy cured, jerky, or even Indian Salmon candy.

Next I think of Alaskan King Crab.  When I first began sailing to Alaska, the only place I actually went was in Juneau, up on the top of the mountain (tram) and would partake in their buffet there.  The best King Crab I had on a cruise, was when I was sailing in Alaska with Cruise West (no longer sails).

Today, you can buy Alaska King Crab in more locations.  One being the King Crab Shack.  I’ve seen locations especially in Juneau and Icy Strait.  Also, my last cruise to Alaska, this opportunity was onboard Royal Caribbean’s Radiance of the Seas.

I also think about Halibut.  I’ve had this many a time, at he outside café on the dock of the Creek in Ketchikan.  My father & I have even fished for Halibut, which we both love.

What about the large game animals ?  Moose, caribou, elks, and bear.  I have had hamburgers made of these different meats.  I’ve had in Denali, Skagway, and others.

Then there’s the reindeer.  I’ve only had reindeer sausage and this was in Fairbanks.

What about Alaska’s Sourdough bread.  I have had this many times, when ordering soups or sandwiches.  Such as in Anchorage or even onboard my cruise !

There’s other local foods and recipes you may want to learn more about, by surfing the net.  An example is “ Eskimo Ice Cream (also known as "akutaq"), which I’ve not yet explored in finding.  It is a fancy name for a hearty dish you probably haven't heard of. Natives used to make this unusual dish by whipping the fat of hunted reindeer, seals, or bears, then adding snow and wild native berries. Sugar wasn't available then but it would probably be a nice addition. Nowadays it is made with crisco and is mixed with berries, mouse food, dried meat, and other vegetables depending on what is available”.  Info provided by Alaska Wildberry Products.


Hmmm ... Ready to visit Alaska ? !

No comments:

Post a Comment