Friday, May 10, 2013

What makes Skagway my favorite Alaska Cruise Port



Skagway.  The name itself sounds, to me, rugged.  Seems like a good name for this “shoot-out” looking town.

From Wikipedia: “Skagway (originally spelled Skaguay) is from the Tlingit name for the area, "Skagua" or "Shԍagwei" meaning "a windy place with white caps on the water”.

 

Not sure I’ve noticed the wind.  However, the snow capped mountains are another reason, I love this little town. 
 

Yes, very small town.  When the ship pulls up, and you’re out on your balcony, it looks like a triangle shape or upside down Y shape little town.  With the mountains behind the town.  And mountains behind you.

 

Another reason I like this port, is that the ships usually pull in forward, so coming in, you can see the town from the left, from your balcony. The two main docks are about the same distance from the town (3-4 blocks).  There is transportation to the town for about $2 roundtrip.

 
 

On the right, is the rail road track.  Doesn’t matter which two main docks the ship is at, the track is right there.  So folks taking the White Pass Train and Yukon tour, have very little distance to walk.  The ship on the right, will be next to a rock bank, where people have put interesting graffitti.

 

 
That’s another reason I love this town.  I love train rides.  For me, I find that trains provide, much more room than buses or airlines.  Yes, it does rock around !

 

The train travels a narrow gauge up to the Yukon.  Matter of fact, you can extend your journey, by bus, and go further into the Yukon, which is what I prefer.  You do need your passports to cross into Canada.  So you must remember to bring this off the ship, for the tour.

 

Lots of history up the trails of this railroad.    Check out the some history and pictures.


 

The next reason I love this little town, is the town itself.  As mentioned above, it looks like a little shoot-out town.  There’s one main road to walk down, and it’s filled with lots of stores for shopping.
 

I
n general, that’s how I spend my time, each 12 times I have visited.  I take the White Pass RR and then I shop !  Two passions of mine.
 
Like any port, more tours are formed each year.  There’s much to choose.  Some for the out-doors folks and those with less walking (Railroad is the best for this).

 

Know that many Jewelry stores from the Caribbean, come up to Alaska, during it’s cruising season.  So if you’re wanting great prices like the Caribbean, Alaska is another great destination to choose.
 
 
When are you ready to plan your Alaska Cruise getaway ! 
It's Time !
 
 
Join group for a Customized land & Royal Caribbean cruise in 2014.  Must plan now !  Limited space remaining
(434/800) 237-3832, press 6 (voip machine)
 
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment