Wednesday, November 21, 2012

During Winter, does Alaska really get colder than the lower 50 states ?


Posting a day early this week, with tomorrow being Thanksgiving.  Happy "Turkey day"; eat plenty !
 
 
Alaska weather ...
 
Well, if you are comparing their weather to states like Arizona and Florida, then I have to answer yes, it typically gets much colder.  However, what I personally tend to compare the Alaska area to, is my own local city, Lynchburg, VA.

With Alaska being a deep love of mine, I keep its weather postings on my cell phone.  This way I can see daily, the temps for Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Anchorage.

More than just often, Seattle and Lynchburg have compatible temperatures.  Yet lately, with Lynchburg being cold, I notice that Seattle has been warmer; and Juneau and Skagway often running more neck and neck with Lynchburg.  WOW, if Lynchburg is colder, then if I can receive the same temps in Alaska, WHY NOT be on vacation, is what I keep telling myself.

At present, 2am, I am looking at the temps:  Lynchburg – 41; Seattle – 51;  Ketchikan 42; Other port, 20’s.    With time difference, it’s not really comparative, but at an instant look, it will do.

Though I have been to Alaska 12 times, with the cruise season being May through September, and my first time there was immediately after high school, then summer is truly the only time I have experienced Alaska.  I have one client who flies up out of season.  I’m not so sure I could actually handle all the darkness associated to winters in Alaska.

No matter, I would love to be there, JUST TO VIEW THE SNOW ON THE MOUNTAINS ! 

What about you ?  Or share a different reason for dreaming to be in Alaska right now ?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment