Wednesday, March 11, 2015

2015, Anchorage, AK - 100th Birthday !




According to “About Alaska”, Westmark Blog, 100 years ago, Anchorage was a railroad railroad construction town …. Actually described as a “tent city”.   Today, Anchorage’s population is around 300,000 and it’s about the size of Delaware.

Go here:  http://anchoragecentennial.org/site
Check out centennial festivities.  Discover why longtime residents chose to live in Anchorage and their many historical memories; stories to help make the history of Alaska’s biggest city.  Also see “then-and-now” photo collection.

 
I know since my first time to Anchorage in 1977, there have been many changes I’ve viewed, with it’s changes, over the last 38 years I have visited.  Whether it’s the highways or the many new hotels, restaurants, museums, and more !

I love to visit Anchorage.  For me, it’s a flat cosmopolitan city, surrounded by mountains.  Love to fly into or out of Anchorage, during the daylight hours … Viewing it’s powdered sugar looking mountains below.

My reason for being in Anchorage, my first time, was marriage.  Just after high school, swiftly taken off to Anchorage, for 10 days (by way of the ol'Alaska Hwy), where my husband was soon to be stationed, for the Airforce.  Unfortunately, that marriage didn’t take as one would expect, so I was back home in Virginie within 3 months (just after Elvis Presley passed).
 
One might think I would never return, due to such memories.  No, Alaska is my most favorite place to visit !

And my last visit to Anchorage, in 2014, was one of the most special times for me.  Not only did I get to cruise with some of my favorite cruisers (Tucson Cruisers), I was able to make a bigger connection, with a classmate that was a year ahead of me, while there.  Not only did we visit several restaurants, she visited our hotel, she showed us where she lived, and had fun !

I may not make it back in 2015 … If you do ... Please say hi or at least waive, to my ol' Virginia GF Donna !  I certainly hope to be back in 2016 !
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment