Thursday, September 6, 2012

Should I read up and even possibly choose my Alaska Shore Excursions in advance of Alaska cruise ? What if I choose to do nothing in port


Reading up on opportunities of availability answer is a sure YES.
Making decisions and committing to decisions in advance, is a little toss-up of an answer, however, I totally lean towards YES !

Just like many other things in your every day life, you have a true investment in your vacation, such as your Alaska cruise … Whether it’s just the cruise it’s self or a cruise/tour package. Therefore, in my opinion, it logically makes sense, to choose to read through all the shore excursion available, way before you sail !
It’s only to your personal advantage to read up and know what is actually available for you to see and do !


Again, whether you decide to make a choice prior, will have to be your decision.

The only two reasons, that I evern consider waiting on making a decision till I get onboard or on land is (and NOTE, I do not wait on any cruise, unless I specifically know that I can buy once on land) ...
* On the 2nd day of your cruise, like on many cruises, there will be a port talk. This allows you to know and learn more, in helping you make the best decision for you and those traveling with you.
* Some ports offer you the opportunity at buying select tours, just right after you get into port, on the land, at a lower cost, such as Juneau. Yet NOTE, it’s to your advantage to know the type tour you want, and then know someone who knows, whether these type tours are ones you can wait on deciding on.


However, like on many cruises, there are select tours, offered through the cruise lines, that will undoubtedly sell out very quickly. Such tours, but not limited to, may include helicopter ride, zip lining, canoeing, kayak, plane rides, whale watching, dog sledding, and more ! For this reason alone, I would be unable to wait, in making a decision, till I got there !

Select tours, you do not dare wait till you get to port to sign up for, in hopes of lower rates … Such as the train in Skagway. As soon as the ship ports, it’s time to board that train. You possibly would never have time to run up to the train station and buy this on your own. Matter of fact, look online to see if there would even be enough savings to take such a chance ! Don’t get me wrong, you may be able to sign up for the afternoon train (?) by waiting ! But again, I would be watching online, because your date could easily sell out, with the cruise lines buying all the space !

In Ketchikan, it is my understanding, that you can NOT, buy on your own, the horse and buggy ride, that goes through the town, on your own. A couple years past, this was only available through buying through the cruise lines. I would wonder if you could buy the Deadliest Catch tour on your own ?). Again, from past experience, the Totem Pole Village, NOT brought from the cruise line, does NOT include the Indian dance show.

NOTE, select tours, like helicopter rides. If the tour becomes unsafe, it will be cancelled, and your money is returned, so it doesn’t really matter that you not know the weather in advance. And often, though the weather is bad in the town, it does not mean it’s the same, over on the glacier or up higher in the clouds.
One option I would not buy in advance, is the Tram Ride in Juneau. I would wait, and decide on the weather, after I got there.

It’s to your advantage, when buying your cruise, that you are buying specifically with an agent who has been to Alaska several times, in order to help you know whether you should choose to buy in advance, or what might be available for you in waiting and deciding once there on land !

If you are considering doing NOTHING, as far as tours in Alaska, especially due to their cost, this would NOT be my advice to you !
* You may only go once to Alaska, though many of my clients, like myself, continue to return, year after year !
* Like I tell clients, 6 months down the road, you won’t remember you spent this money, so go for it !
* So many great things to do and see here, and it’s all worth it
* There are economical choices, that you can make, to not break the bank and yet you will still feel, you “reaped” in your Alaska adventure. You just need that agent who can share insight with you !
 



HAPPY ALASKA ADVENTURES IN PORT !









 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment