Thursday, February 11, 2016

Alaska Tip. Northbound cruise. Take the Alaska Coastal Rail from Seward/Whittier ? Morning/Evening ? Claim $25



Well, you don’t have a choice, with your Northbound cruise, whether you sail into Seward/Whittier, since it is based on which port your ship comes into.  Princess sails into Whittier and the rest of the cruise lines sail into Seward.

Which train ride is better from, Seward or Whittier ? For me, all train rides are FuN and my 1st choice for transportation.

The question should be, what might you see more ?
In estimation, Whittier is between Seward and Anchorage.   So you automatically now know, that the Seward ride is longer than the train ride from Whittier.  4 ¼ hours versus 1.20.

From Whittier, the train will follow close to the Seward Hwy.  Whereas, from Seward, the train will first go thru the mountains before following the Seward Hwy.  The train stops to pick up the Whittier folks in Girdwood. You tell me, which you might see more ?

Should this determine whether you choose a Princess cruise versus the others ?  Not for me, cause my 1st choice is a Princess cruise.  I’ve traveled many a time, by train, from Seward, with cruise lines.  Such as this year, on my first Alaska cruise with Norwegian.

Now the question, take the cruise in the morning or afternoon.  That’s a tuff one. 

Do you want to see any of Seward or Whittier while there ?  Please know, there’s not a lot in either, but Seward is larger and there are tours you can buy in the area.

Is your plane leaving same day, and maybe you want a little time in Anchorage instead ?  If leaving same day, you won’t have much time in Anchorage, especially if not staying till at least midnight.

Know, the time of your flight may be the determining factor.  Morning train arrives to Anchorage 11-12noon.  Evening train arrives 10:15pm.

Or maybe you’ll decide, based on price of the train.  The earlier train is chartered by the cruise lines.  Could cost $110+.  Or maybe you are staying a night in Anchorage, and can get a cruise line price to include hotel.  Alaska RR 6pm train currently cost $92.

For my June cruise on Norwegian, I opted with the later time with Alaska RR.  I will be able to leave my luggage with Alaska RR till the train leaves 6pm (will need to get there by 5pm).  I don’t plan on doing any tours in the Seward area, since I’ve already done many.  So I will walk the town and take pictures.  Call me & come join me.  Norwegian Sun, June 26.  See insight on my website:  www.VivianWebb.com 
Claim your $25 onboard cabin credit, sailing with our group (mention this upon your 1st call !

No comments:

Post a Comment